Thursday, April 30, 2015

Parents - Go Get Your Children From the Streets!

I have been watching the most recent unrest in Baltimore, Maryland.  My heart goes out to the parents - especially the mother of Freddie Gray - they young man whom lost his life.  I can't say that I understand what she is going through because I have not walked in her shoes.  But to watch her son, via video, being dragged to the police van, partially limp, screaming out in pain, and needing to have his leg lifted just to get inside the van - I share the pain that her heart must have felt.  I pray that the truth will be revealed and justice will be served.

People are tired and fed up with the injustices and the unnecessary force, mistreatment, and abuse. Yes, some of these young men may have made wrong choices; however it doesn't  give any one individual the right to be the judge, jury, and executor.  There is a process for broken laws. Unfortunately, the unrest we have witnessed across the states and now in Baltimore is the result of simply being fed up. Prayerfully, positive outcomes will eventually occur.  Perhaps there will be changes in laws, policies, as well as actions within families.

One action I will like to highlight - because it displayed the fact that some parents - mothers are raising their children to make good choices and will do whatever it takes to make sure they are not making the wrong choices.  I highly respect the mother who saw her son on television throwing rocks at the police and immediately went out to get him from the streets.  I truly understand her thoughts and why she did what she did.  Although I do not condone violence, this mother's action could be the very thing that saved her son from being another statistic.  I wish we had more like her.  Perhaps more youth would be in better control.  It takes the village to raise a child - but the power starts at home.  If we don't go get our children from the streets, the police will - with a possible end result of more and more cases such as what we have witnessed in Baltimore and other states.  











In closing, I'm thankful for all of the parents who are doing it right and have children who make the right choices!  

No comments:

Post a Comment