Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Becks and Lee Walker Heights

I came across this video this on Facebook and it stirred up a mixture of emotions.  First watching it, my spirits were lifted.  I smiled.  Watching it for the second time, I laughed, but then became sad.  I know this community and I know Eddie Beck and his family.
Becks. Lee Walker Heights. Old School. Family. Community. If you don't know the history. If you don't know the story. If you don't know the personalities. If you don't know the connections. If you don't know the relations. If you don't know the reasons and the whys...If you don't know the Becks... you will never
understand. ‪#‎Learntounderstand‬#‪#‎Itsnotwhatyouthink‬

Some who don't know of this community or man, may have something derogatory to say. I stopped by today to encourage you.  Don't judge the book by the cover!  This scene is not what one may originally think it is.  Knowing what I know - it is a conversation, a push for this man to get to his doctor's appointment. It is a scene of belonging, love, concern, -----true community.

I have provided information that grant understanding in reference to my different emotions.
I can't recognize whom the woman is talking, but I do know the Becks.  The family grew up in Lee Walker Heights.  The Beck's family are very well respected and cook the best fried fish in Asheville. They have started and coached many community baseball teams.   I went to school with Lamont Beck and worked with his uncle and aunt Pam Beck.  The Lee Walker Height's community has been in tack for over 50 years and is one of Asheville's oldest public housing development.  There is getting ready to be major changes in Lee Walker Heights - just like it was on the Southside a.k.a. East of the Riverway. The scene you just witnessed will be no more. People will be divided and scattered throughout other areas of Asheville -  some areas where they may not be as welcomed --- where there is not a sense of belonging - where community will no longer feel like community.  Please pray for the Lee Walker Heights community members.  I pray that they will adapt to the upcoming major change - in the greatest way!

Lee Walker Heights:

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2014/10/26/demolition-transformation-coming-lee-walker-heights/17974875/

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/opinion/2014/11/03/view-stakes-high-lee-walker-heights/18386357/

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/04/08/housing-authority-addresses-lee-walker-heights-residents/25482929/

http://www.carolinapublicpress.org/20317/redevelopment-of-asheville-public-housing-project-might-be-model-for-larger-overhaul

No comments:

Post a Comment